Want to feel healthy and clean on the inside? EAT THIS SOUP!!
We enjoyed it over the Christmas holidays in between rich meals and ended up making it a total of FOUR times for our families! My father-in-law, who is a tough critic of non-meat dependent meals, ate three bowls when he first tried it!
With all of my promotion of this soup, I also must say that the recipe came originally from The Food Network. However, I have doctored it and made it my own every time. The recipe below is pretty tried and true.
Health in a Bowl: Kale and White Bean Soup
inspired by this Food Network recipe
1 large bunch of Kale
1 large sweet onion
1 package of your favorite mushrooms
5-6 cloves of chopped garlic (yup!)
2-1 qt containers of vegetable broth
2-3 cans of white beans (northern or cannelloni)
1 can tomatoe paste
Splash of red wine
1. Chop and prepare Kale, onions, mushrooms, and garlic.
2. Heat a large soup pot with several tablespoons of olive oil. Add chopped onions and cook until fragrant and soft. Add mushrooms until they begin to shrink and look delicious. Then add garlic and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Add salt and pepper.
3. Add vegetable stock and tomato paste. Bring to boil.
4. Add Kale (center stems removed, leaves washed and chopped coarsely)
5. Add spices and wine. Allow soup to simmer for approx 20 mins (longer and on a lower temperature if you have time)
6. Add white beans and cook for another 10 mins.
7. Taste for salt/pepper. I found that I liked a lot more pepper in this soup than I usually add to my recipes! Season to taste of course!
I love serving my soup with some freshly baked rolls from the bakery at my local grocery store. Leftovers can also be paired super well with a delicious salad, sandwich, or (my favorite) a MorningStar Spicy Black Bean burger. Enjoy!!!